The investment in your health is so beyond worth it and is one of the best decisions I’ve made.
I reached out to Brittany after a friend with Ulcerative Colitis recommended her. I had been experiencing some minor Crohn’s symptoms after being in remission with medication for several years and was looking for ways to improve my overall health, learn more about diet and IBD, and have a support system along the way. I had tried diets in the past (SCD, Whole30) but nothing stuck. Every time I “failed", I felt guilty, discouraged, and overwhelmed. After joining one of Brittany’s webinars and having an introductory call with her, I knew that I wanted to work with her. I loved her realistic, sustainable approach to diet and her focus on stress management and lifestyle changes as well as nutrition. Her positive and friendly personality was so contagious and inspiring and really helped me relax while taking my health seriously (as someone with health-related PTSD, this is not an easy task). Plus, I felt extra comfort talking to her about anything and everything knowing that she had been through similar struggles with her UC.
When I first started working with Brittany, she had me make minor changes and set small weekly goals. As a Type A, goal-oriented person, I initially wanted to do MORE but she encouraged me to start slow. I’m so glad she did. All of the small changes we made together over the course of 6 months added up to major life changes that have actually stuck.
Since working with Brittany, I’ve noticed so many valuable changes in my life but here are some of the highlights:
- I am so much more aware of what I put into my body. Before working with Brittany, I consumed a high fat, inflammatory diet and drank a little too much wine every night. I’ve completely changed my diet for the better and only drink on special occasions. Can you believe I went from eating burritos and burgers to being a smoothie person? I never thought I’d be making, not to mention, enjoying smoothies every day. (And I still am a burritos and burgers person just with some healthy substitutions).
- Nutrition and eating healthy have become fun for me! I love researching different nutritional properties of foods and learning how they can help make the body function better and even heal.
- I started a nighttime ritual that helped me relax, fall asleep faster and sleep better. I mediate, no longer keep my phone by my bed and read before going to sleep.
- This may seem counter-intuitive, but I’ve relaxed about nutrition. I’ve realized that my Type A personality actually caused more stress and was what was preventing me from sticking to a healthy diet. I would eat "healthy" for a week or two and then crash and burn pretty quickly. With Brittany, the small changes and finding substitutes for the foods that I enjoy, made it possible for me to stick to a healthier way of life permanently. I no longer feel limited or restricted by eating healthy.
- I am more in tune with my stress. I’ve gotten better at monitoring my stress level and prioritizing stress-relieving activities such as walking and meditating.
- My overall health has improved significantly. My frequency and urgency decreased, my diarrhea stopped, my energy increased, and I’ve been able to maintain a healthier weight!
On a more personal note, while all of the nutrition and lifestyle changes have been amazing, Brittany became so much more than a nutritionist to me. During our time working together, she went above and beyond to help me through a severe flare up. She encouraged me to become an advocate for my health, came up with several nutritional solutions to try, recommended resources and doctors to get a second opinion, and helped me understand the right questions to ask doctors. She took the time to ask how I was doing and check-in even when we didn’t have anything scheduled. Even during my worst days, I looked forward to my calls with Brittany. She was a positive light during a really dark time for me, and for that, I am forever grateful.
For anyone with IBD, Brittany is the best nutritionist there is. The investment in your health is so beyond worth it and is one of the best decisions I’ve made. I’ve since recommended Brittany to friends who have IBD and am already planning on working with Brittany again to help me transition during a major move across the country.
More IBD Resources:
The Flare Fighter Recipe Book
We've put together this 40+ page recipe book to give you some ideas for what to eat when you have IBD. These recipes are designed to be quick, simple, and delicious. We hope you enjoy them! Download the recipe book at the link below.
The IBD Starter Kit
An essential self-advocacy guide for people with IBD and their caregivers. We designed this Starter Kit with you in mind, to save you time and give you the tools you need to be your own best healthcare advocate. Download the Starter Kit at the link below.